Every year groundWork publishes a report which focusses on a selected theme, and reflects on the state of environmental justice in South Africa. You can download any of these reports by clicking on the report title or image. groundWork has also published a number of Special Reports, links to which you can find by scrolling down or clicking here.
2003: Forging the Future: Industrial strategy & the making of environmental injustice in South Africa
- Shell: Don't Frack the Karoo: This report was written in August 2014, commissioned by groundWork (Friends of the Earth South Africa), Southern Cape Land Committee and Milieudefensie (Friends of the Earth Netherlands) as preparation for a fact-finding mission of Milieudefensie en Stichting Schaliegasvrij Nederland to the Karoo area. This report is also available to download in Afrikaans, here.
- Slow Poison: Air Pollution, Public Health and Failing Governance - A story of air pollution and political failure to protect South Africans from pollution, June 2014.
- Unpacking Climate Change: Background Notes to the Catastrophe.
- Toxic Futures: South Africa in the Crises of Energy, Environment and Capital.
- The Mercury Flow Report: A report investigating mercury flows into and out of South Africa (SA)/SADC and how it is distributed and used.
- Bankrolling Climate change: A Look into the Portfolios of the World's Largest Banks, a report published by urgewald, groundWork, Earthlife Africa Johannesburg and BankTrack.
- Dirty Energy Week Reader: a briefing on COP17 and beyond
- World Bank and Eskom: Banking on Climate Destruction 2009
- Reclaiming Livelihoods - Melanie Samson 2008
- Solidarity for Environmental Justice in South Africa - Report by Victor Munnik - Nov 2007
- groundWork/NIZA Briefing Papers 2007:
- The Impact of Extractive Industries on Rights of Local Communities
- Modern Day Slaves: Living conditions of the Diamond Diggers of Mbuji Mayi
- The Impact of Cement Kilns on the Environment
- An Analysis of the Socio-Economic Intervention System of Forestry Companies in the DRC
- Corporate Social Responsibility Practices in Small-scale Mining on the Copperbelt
- Clean Fuel: Is it a Reality or a Myth?
(Please contact groundWork for French versions of above papers )