Media items feature articles which appear in the print or online media, and which contain reference to, or input from groundWork, or simply cover an exceptionally important issue which is also the topic of groundWork focus.
For all media enquiries please contact Tsepang Molefe by phone on +27 33 342 5662 or +27 64 900 9963, or WhatsApp (+27 64 900 9963), or click here to send an e-mail. Click here to access our News and Press Release ARCHIVES menu at the page bottom.
- CER lauds court halting Thabametsi power station plans - Craemer Media Mining Weekly (online), 12 November 2020.
- Another KZN coal mine murder: NGO urges investigation into Fikile Ntshangase murder - BizNews (online), 28 October 2020.
- Gas: South Africa's next 'battleground' - Mail & Guardian (online), 21 October 2020; also The Soweto Gazette (online).
- Ethekwini's bold new plan to generate its own power and get off Eskom grid - IOL - The Mercury (online), 19 October 2020.
- Turkish floating gas power ships sail into public consultation process after back-door passage to SA freezes up - Daily Maverick (online), 18 October 2020.
- Gas extraction poses serious risk to environment and society - The Mercury and the Pretoria News.
- Xolobeni: Recovering Democracy - Victory for people's right to information - The Mercury and Pretoria News, 02 October 2020.
- Mining licence for Namibia’s sensitive Kavango region goes underground - Daily Maverick (online), 28 September 2020.
- Exporting Poison to the South - Cape Times, Mercury, & Pretoria News, 23 September 2020. You can view/download a standalone webpage of this item here.
- Prize Winners Today: Environmental Justice with Bobby Peek - goldmanprize.org (online) - 15 September 2020.
- Total's Oil and Gas: A Match Made in Hell - Pretoria News, 01 September 2020. You can view a standalone webpage of this item here.
- False Zero — or are the corporations really trying to save the planet? - Daily Maverick (online), 26 August 2020.
- Report: Cancer-causing chemicals lingered in the air days after Msunduzi landfill fire -
IOL (online - Mercury), 18 August 2020.
- Climate change must be considered in water licence applications for coal-fired power plants in SA, says Water Tribunal - IOL
(online - The Saturday Star), 13 August 2020.
- Landfill Has Become a Permanent Problem for City - The Mercury, 05 August 2020. You can view/download a standalone webpage of the item here.
- Mantashe in legal wrangle over electricity generation -IOL (online The Star), 31 July 2020.
- GroundWork approaches court over IRP - Craemer Mining Weekly (online), 31 July 2020.
- NGO challenges government in court over its energy blueprint - Business Day (online), 30 July, 2020.
- Msunduzi residents urged to evacuate as dump fire rages on - IOL (Mercury), 22 July 2020.
- Defending Communities and the Environment - The Mercury, 21 July 2020. You can view/download a standalone webpage of the item here.
- Toxic fumes can cause acute respiratory distress - Capital Newspapers (online), 20 July 2020.
- Protecting Our Health: There is Life After Coal - Mercury, Pretoria News, 07 July 2020. This item is also available to read as a webpage here.
- UN watchdog joins SA air pollution case - New Frame (online), 30 June 2020.
- Reusables are just as safe: The Covid-19 pandemic is accelerating single-use plastic pollution - Daily Maverick (online), 24 June 2020.
- A Cheap Shot and Very Bad Attempt at Blame Shifting - Mercury, Cape Times, and Pretoria News, 10 June 2020. This opinion piece is also available to read as a webpage here.
- A Fight to Breathe Clean Air - Africa Legal (online), 22 June 2020.
- 'Deadly Air' case cites particulates - Saturday Star, 20 June 2020.
- Eskom, Sasol, in pollition court challenge - Mercury, 17 June 2020.
- Highveld's air quality so bad that UN wants to join SA court case - Citizen (online), 17 June 2020. See also UN joins dirty air fight here.
- Wanted: Socially just transition to sustainable energy - Mercury, Cape Times, and Pretoria News, 10 June 2020. This opinion piece is also available to read as a webpage here.
- Infodemic and Our Miseducation - Mercury, Cape Times, and Pretoria News, 26 May 2020. This opinion piece is also available to read as a webpage here.
- Drakenstein municipality waste pickers to resume work at Level 3 - IOL (Cape Times), 13 May 2020
- Enjoy the fresh air while it lasts! Lockdown banishes air pollution - Daily Maverick (online), 08 May 2020
- Back to basics is the only sustainable solution - IOL (online), also Mercury and Pretoria News, 29 April 2020. This item is also available to read as a webpage here.
- 'My children are starving' - Waste pickers fear starvation and poverty during lockdown - Witness, 15 April 2020.
- The Nation needs more than Band-aids, Mr. President - Mercury & Pretoria News, 14 April 2020.
- Coronavirus Underlines Health Inequalities in Society - Pretoria News, 30 March 2020 (also Mercury and Cape Times).This opinion piece is also available to read as a webpage here.
- Mining's Toxic Legacy for the People of Dannhauser - Mercury, Cape Times, and Pretoria News, 16 March 2020.This groundWork Opinion Piece is also available to read as a webpage here.
- SA's just transition from fossil fuels is "all to fight for" - IOL (Saturday Star - online), 13 March 2020.
- Environmental groups appeal Richards Bay gas-to-power plant - Zululand Observer (online), 20 February 2020.
- Africa Under Threat from Plastic Dumping - Cape Times and Pretoria News, 03 February 2020. This groundWork Opinion Piece is also available to read as a webpage here.
To browse through our IN THE MEDIA items back to 2017 please select a year below.