Job Advertisement: Accountant
25 October 2022
The Groundwork Trust (groundWork, Friends of the Earth, South Africa)
groundWork is an environmental justice organisation working with communities to resist dirty energy and toxic production, build local alliances with workers for a just transition and advocate for open democracy. It was formed in 1999 to support people’s struggles for environmental justice, starting with people living on the fenceline of petrochemicals industries and waste facilities. It is a principles-driven NGO with committed and capable staff making significant contributions to building the environmental justice movement in South Africa and on the continent, and to holding government and companies accountable. groundWork operates through the lens of just transition and open democracy.
groundWork aims to achieve the objective of environmental justice through six campaigns (Climate and Energy Justice, Coal, Waste, Environmental Health, Environmental Justice Education, Communications) supported by the Finance and Administration teams.
groundWork is an equal opportunities employer.
This is a call for a qualified Accountant to join our small and busy Finance Team in the groundWork offices in Pietermaritzburg. The team comprises the Bookkeeper and the Accountant, headed by the Finance Director (FD). We are looking for a person with integrity, honesty and the ability to work under pressure. Previous experience in the development sector will be an advantage.
Some of the Key Performance Areas are:
- Coordinate the biannual audit process as directed by the FD, liaise with external auditors and prepare necessary documentation.
- Assist the FD with statutory compliance matters.
- Prepare and submit to the FD (for review) all financial reports according to funder specifications.
- Produce organisational financial reports as described in the groundWork Financial Policies and Procedures, in an accurate and timely manner, to be presented to the FD.
- Allocate payments to relevant funders and budget lines and sign payment requisitions for review and authorisation by the FD.
- Ensure that procurement processes follow the groundWork Financial Policies and Procedures and compliance with specific funder contracts.
Minimum Knowledge Required:
- Requirements for meeting standards for the audit.
- Legal implications and requirements of Trust bodies.
- Administrative and Financial computer packages, experience with Pastel Partner essential.
- Cash flow forecasts and the development of budgets.
- Preparation of computer-generated Financial Reports.
- Accounting principles, procedures, and systems.
- Reconciliations and Trial Balances.
- Requirements of the Receiver of Revenue.
- Familiarity with payroll issues.
- Relevant up-to-date computer software.
- Experience in the developmental sector would be an advantage.
Personal Attributes we believe would help an individual to perform competently in this position:
- Being honest, punctual, disciplined, motivated, with high self-esteem.
- Being decisive, showing clear thinking, with analytical abilities.
- Derive enjoyment from devising and working within systems in an organised manner.
- Able to motivate others to follow procedures and respect systems that enhance the functioning of the organisation.
- Willing to strive for a higher level of personal development and professional performance.
- Able to manage personal and work-related stress and act as a model for others in this regard.
- Hold a current driving license (Code 8 or 10).
Application process and timeline
Please send your CV (maximum 3 pages) and a Letter of Motivation (maximum 1 page) to by Monday, 7 November 2022, not later than 17h00.
Shortlisted candidates (only) will be notified and invited to interviews.
Interviews will be scheduled for the week of 21 November 2022.
For more information about groundWork please visit our website at www.groundwork.org.za